Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Basant Panchmi!!

Hello world!!

Have you ever gone through my blog completely? If yes, then you can see my love for the holy city of Varanasi.. today I found this picture of the eternal ghats of my very own Varanasi, and decided to put it on my blog!! Simply loved it!!

Today is Basant Panchami... This day marks the beginning of spring and also Holi, the festival of colors. Goddess Saraswati is worshiped. She's the goddess of knowledge. Ever since I was born, I have been a dutiful devotee of Saraswati ma. My mom had kept a picture of her, a very serene calm painting by some very talented and blessed artist. I had the picture till I was married, and now mom has it in her puja room. I have memories of Basant Panchami. This festival belongs to West Bengal. The vigor with which they celebrate this day is incomparable. In my early childhood days, we used to be a part of the celebration, and I remember the late night musical celebrations, and the delicious khichdi "yellow rice with lentils"... I miss the festival and nanaji, my grandpa... He used to be the head of the organizing committee for this celebration. Alas, on the fateful day in 1991, he organized but did not wait to witness it, he expired a night before.. Love you nanaji, miss you, your love, your solar system stories and ice creams. 

Varansi has a east india influence, so this festival is celebrated more of less like Bengal. Idols of Ma Saraswati are put up in huge Pandals. Music, food and colors (gulal) are the predominant features of this day... 

I miss the fun and gaiety and laughter and colors.. I pray to god to give me back those fun filled days and to bless my son with the power of knowledge!!


Var de Veena Vadini..Var de!!


No comments:

Post a Comment


Thanks for dropping by. Take a minute to pen your thoughts..